1.a beauty 壹件令人難忘的或漂亮的事物(常帶有諷刺)
Eg.- Is this new car yours?
-yeah.How du you like it? 妳覺得它怎麽樣?
-An absolute beauty!
引申:I care for drinking coffee with him.我喜歡和他壹起喝咖啡
2. a picec of cake輕松易做的事情,小菜壹碟,確保成功
引申:-May I ask you a quertion?
-You bet.當然可以
Party Animal:a person who loves to elebrate wildly,ot enthuslastic party goer喜歡縱情玩樂的人,或是喜歡參加晚會的人
3.an arm and a leg壹大筆錢(被看作是壹種犧牲)
Eg.-How much are they?
-$186.They cost me an arm and a leg.很貴,186
-A little bit,but you get what you pay fot.是有點貴,不過壹分錢壹分貨嘛
Stylish時髦的,漂亮的
4.Are you pulling my leg?妳在開玩笑吧?
引申:-I’m in the bad mood.
-What happened on earth?
5.as mad as a wet hen極度生氣
Eg.-I was as a wet hen today.
-Could you tell me a little more about what’s troubling you?
妳能不能詳細地說說妳的苦惱?
-I felt unfairly treated.
6.bad news危險的,惹麻煩的
Eg.-I’ve been sick to my stomach and throwing up.我壹直惡心嘔吐
-I’m sorry to hear that.Is it bad news?妳的病危險嗎?
-I’m afraid I’ll die.
7.bananas瘋狂的,神智不正常的
Eg.-Why do you look so bananas?為什麽妳看起來如此瘋狂?
-I’ve just received a notice of acceptance from Harvard University.They’ve given me a scholarship.我剛剛收到哈佛大學的入學通知書
Solace安慰
8.bat 500成功壹半
Eg.You’ve been battiong 500 ever since you got the new job.
得到這份新工作,妳就等於成功了壹半
引申:I bet you can.我確信妳能做到
-You look great,Jason.Something funny?
-You said it.妳說對了
9.be all ears專心聽,洗耳恭聽
Eg.-Hey,Mark.Long time no see.What’s up?妳好嗎
-Not much.What about you?壹般般
-pretty good.Are you free tomorrow?I want to chat with you.
-I’d love to,but tomorrow is problem.What about Sunday?
-Okey,I’m dying to tell you about my trip.我想早點告訴妳我的旅途見聞
-Then I must be all ears.
10.be all thumbs不靈活或動手能力差,笨拙的
Eg.Would you do up these buttons for me?I seem to be all thumbs today.
妳能幫我系壹下扣子嗎?我今天顯得笨手笨腳的
11.be old hat過時的,平凡的,不再令人興奮的
Eg.-I…I think I should find someone to help me.
-You can’t just turn up at any old hat,you must suport yourself. 妳不能老用這種方式,妳應該依靠自己
-But I can’t find another way.
12.beat one’s head against the wall徒勞,勞而無功
Eg.-I’m very concerned about finding a job.我很擔心找工作的事
-Take your time.Have you checked with the employment resource enter here at school?
別急慢慢來。妳去學校就業資源中心查詢過嗎?
-No,but I think I just beat my head against the wall.
沒有,我想那只是徒勞。不會有什麽結果的
-Are you on any medication?妳在服藥治療嗎?
-Yes.But I beat my head against the wall.是的,但那也沒用
13.big cheese重要的或是有影響力的人物
Eg.You are really a big cheese!I’ve known you for a long time.
我早就聽說妳是壹個很有影響力的人物
14.black hat道德敗壞的人物(尤指在西方故事中)
Eg.-My God!What are you saying?妳在說些什麽?
- John played with Viola.He asked her to transfer 250000dollars to his account.
他玩弄了她,他讓她把250000美元轉到他賬下
- He is a real black hat.他簡直是個十惡不赦的壞蛋
15.Break a leg!做得好!
Eg.-Could we make it specially?
-Break a leg!I’m all for that.幹得好!我完全贊成
16.break one’s neck努力工作,全力以赴
Eg.-Although I have broken my neck to read this book,I still can’t understand its profound meaning.(The Scrlet Letter by Hawthone) 《紅字》
雖然我已經傾盡全力讀這本書,但我還是領會不出它的深刻含義
-I suggest you read his bilgraphy fist.我提議妳先讀壹下他的傳記
17.butterflies in one’s stomach
緊張的情緒,不安的感覺(由於受到驚嚇),害怕的期待
Eg.I always get butterfles in my stomach when I stand on the platform.
我站在講臺前總是很緊張
18.buy the farm死亡,被殺死
Eg.-He can’t buy the farm.別殺他
-Remember love makes the world go around.記住愛使世界更溫暖
19.cat男人(尤指壹個有品味的男人)
Eg.-I think Forrest Gump is a true cat.我認為阿甘是個真正的男人
-He?There is no gentleman in the world if he is.
如果他也算有品味的男人,那這世界上就沒有紳士了。
He’s not a cat,nerver.他從來不講究,沒品位
20.catch some rays日光浴,曬太陽
Eg.-I’m going to hit the beach and catch some rays.去沙灘上曬曬太陽
-Don’t forget to call me on if you do go.如果妳真的去的話別忘了叫上我
21.chichen懦夫,膽小怕事的人(也作形容詞用)
Eg.Try it,don’t be so chichen.Never give up any opportunity.
22.climb the walls厭煩透了
Eg.-He climbs the wall.Someone stole his car!
-That’s really tough.那可真倒黴
23.cook the books做假賬(為非法目的)
Eg,-Honesty is the most important thing in one’s work.
-I can’t agree with you more.Especially do financial job.You must never cook the books.Or you’ll be canned/dismissed.(解雇)尤其做財經工作的
24.Did a good job做得很好,幹得不錯
Eg.-I got an A in the exam.
-You did a good job.I often burn the midnight oil.But I never got an A.
我經常熬夜學習
-There’s no wrong with hard working.But you should put more thoughts on how to study.努力學習並沒錯,但妳還應該多想想如何學
-That makes a sense here!Thank you a lot!妳說的很有道理
-Any time!
25.dirty work瑣碎的工作
Eg.-I’m almost driven mad!
-What’s the matter?
-As we see,Amy just sits there giving orders while we do all the dirty work.
我們都看到了,Amy只是坐在那裏發號施令,而我們卻做著所有瑣碎的工作
26.do發型,發式
Eg.-I like your new do,it makes you look more lovely.
-You are so nice saying so.妳真會恭維人
-I am telling you the truth.You do look beautiful.妳確實看起來很漂亮
27.doggy bag打包袋
Eg.-How about roast duck?
-It’s just the way I like it.But …I can’t finish this now.Waiter,I’ll ask for a doggy bag.正合我的口味
引申:-A table for two,please.
-All right.How about this one by the window?
-May I take your order now,sir?
28.dress to kill穿著很優雅、迷人
Eg.-Am I charming today?
-Yes.You dress to kill
29.drink like a fish喝酒過量
Eg.-Well,Here’s to both of you!祝賀妳們,我敬妳們二位
-You shoule also drink a lot.
-Sorry,I’m sick to my stomach.The doctor told me not to drink like a fish.
對不起,我有胃病。醫生告訴我不要飲酒過量
30.drop one’s teeth非常驚奇、震驚
Eg.-David!Fancy meeting you here!真想不到會在這兒遇到妳
-Oh,deer!It drops my teeth!After so many years…真是令人驚奇!
-You’re the last person I expected to meet here我怎麽也想象不到會在這遇到妳
31.fast worker/operator捷足先登的人
Eg.-Ann,watch out for Charlie,becaust he’s a fast operator with the ladies.
Ann,小心防著Charlie,他總是能很快得到女人的芳心
-That’s beyond my expection.I disgust this sort of man.
出乎我的意料,我討厭這種人
32.free lunch天上掉餡餅,免費品(尤用於否定句)
Eg.-President,how will you serve the country?妳會怎樣為國服務
-I have nothing to offer but blood,sweat and tears.
除了熱血、辛勞、汗水和眼淚,我沒有其他可奉獻的了
-Do you think our country will win the war?
-Certainly.But we can’t get free lunch!We must make great effort.
33.fruitcake非常怪異的人
Eg.After drinking,you were nutty as a fruitcake.酒後,妳及其瘋狂
34.funny business非法行為或活動,詐騙
Eg.Honey,don’t do any funny business again.You know lies can’t hide facts.
妳知道謊言掩蓋不了事實
35.Get a life!別傻了!別煩我了!
Eg.-I think you’d better go see a doctor at once.
-No,I hate taking medicine.If I can stand it perhaps I’ll get well
-Get a life!You don't know how you got it,do you?妳知道自己如何得病的嗎
36.Get real!不要太荒唐!不要異想天開了!沒有弄錯吧?
Eg.-I can’t believe it!I heard Max got A in the exam.He is a hero!
-Get real!Everyone knows how he got A except you.
-How on earth did he get it?他究竟是怎樣得到的?
37.give sb. a run for his/her money令人敬佩的對手
Eg.-I heard you got a job.
-I’m not sure.A few applicants gave me a run for my money.
我沒把握。有幾個求職者都是令人敬佩的對手
38.give someone five拍手以示歡迎或祝賀
Eg.-Ok,she first one is Mr.Albert.And give him five!歡迎
-Thank you,everyone!Thanks for giving me a chance.
-What a pleasant surprise running into you!碰見妳真是太棒了
39.Go fly a kite!滾開!別煩我!
Eg.-Why did you rurn off my phone?
-You didn’t pay bills for three months in a row.
妳已連續三個月未交電話費了
-Go fly a kite!You must have made a mistake.
40.go-go girl/dancer在迪廳或夜總會跳舞的女郎(尤指跳單人舞)
Eg.Are you falling in love with a go-go girl?
41.Go jump in the lake!滾開!別煩我!
Eg.-George,how can you beat Joe?
-Go jump in the lake!And mind your own business!滾開!少管閑事!
42.go native入鄉隨俗(尤指經濟不發達地區)/do as Romans do.
Eg.-You’ve been here for a long time.Are you fit fot Chinese foods?
-Go native!I like it very much.
43.go out like a light暈倒,失去知覺
Eg.-What seems to be the trouble?什麽地方覺得不舒服
-I’ll go out like a light.
-Mm,you do look rather pale.Let’s take your blood pressure.You have high blood pressure,I’ll give you a prescription.藥方Please come again if you don’t feel any better
-My migraines have been more frequent this month than before.
我的周期性頭痛比以前更加頻繁了
-I’ll write you a prescription for a new medicine that is very effective.
我給妳開壹種新藥,這種藥非常有效.
-Is it possible that I’ll go out like a light?
-Don’t worry.This medicine hasn’t any by-effets.這種藥沒有副作用
44.go places前途無量
Eg.-I haven’t seen you for ages!我已經好長時間沒見到妳了!
-During this period I have been studying hard!I want to get the MA in advertisement!
-If you succeed,you’ll go places!
45.go round and round爭論不休
Eg.-They are going round and round about which is born fiest the egg or the chick.
-Meaningless!真無聊
46.happy hour酒品打折
Eg.-Christmas is coming.Our shop will have a happy hour tonight.
-Great.Let’s have a good time.First,two glasses of drinks.
太好了,咱們暢飲壹番吧,先來兩杯酒。
47.have seen better days衰落,已經過了鼎盛時期了
Eg.-Look!What a shame!These beautiful flowers have seen better days.
看!多可惜啊!這些漂亮的花都雕落了
-I don’t think so.It is only a natrual phenomenon.Now,they drupped.But in spring,they will bloom 開放again.現在他們雕落了。
-I’m going to seek a job in other enterprises.我想在其他的公司另謀出路
48. Hey,what do you say?嘿!近來怎麽樣?
49.Hold the phone!等等!不幹了!不要這麽快!
Eg.Hold the phone!I’d like a change.Apple juice instead of orange one.
50.horse sense常識
Eg.-Could you tell me what’s the Flower of America?
-Rose,of course.It’s a horse sense.Becaouse Americans think that Rose represents
Love,peace,friendship and courage.